Friday, January 29, 2010

Paris, Day 3/3: La Grande Finale


Eight AM wake up calls are no more pleasant in French than they are in English. Regardless, after a quick shower ans some complimentary bird food, we ventured forth, back into the city.

Our first stop was Sacre Coeur, a large basilica situated on the outskirts of Paris atop some rolling hills. I don't actually know much about it, nor have many pictures of the interior because they were holding mass and being from the south and raised Catholic; I know better than to interrupt a service. I did stick my head in the lobby just to catch a glimpse of what all there was to see. I could smell the burning incenses and hear murmuring of the Apostle's Creed (French murmuring). It took me back for an instant to my days at St. Peter's Catholic School...I respectfully genuflected my way back out into the dismal Parisian weather and regrouped with my wolf-pack (I used to consider myself a one man wolf-pack).

Despite our failed attempt to tour the catacombs on the previous day, we returned once more and were able to descend into the City of Lights' renowned crypts.

Spooky. That is the only word fit to describe the mass Parisian grave. The winding labyrinth of decaying human remains creeps its way 20 meters beneath the cobblestone boulevards for a total of 2km. The stale air and distant sound of dripping water (no matter how cliche) combine effectively to send shivers down your spine before even completing the 183 step descension into the tomb. The doorway of the tomb sends a warning to all those of this world: Arrete, c'est ici L'empire de la mort (Halt, this is the realm of death). The catacombs, originally underground mine shafts for limestone production were converted to use as a crypt in 1786 when Paris cemeteries literally reached an overflowing point. Over the next 80 years 6-7 million Parisian remains were placed in their tomb beneath the grand streets of Paris. The tombs stay at a comfortable 14 degrees Celsius but the lingering presence of death and utter silence makes you shiver regardless. The endless walls of human remains is simply put, overwhelming. The entire time spent beneath the city is somewhere in the neighborhood of 45 min-an hour.

We left the catacombs and wandered around the city for the next two hours just killing time until we our loaded up onto our bus. Paris ended up being everything I'd thought it would be: Grand Monuments, beautiful artwork an scenery, rich rfood, and unimaginably inhospitable people. I would recommend to anyone, that given the opportunity, they should travel to majestic city; just expect a less than royal welcome from the locals.

All good; all the time,

Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment