Sunday, January 24, 2010

Paris: The Arrival


My Western Europe Travels book claims that the French people are notorious for being poor drivers and after our bus ride to Paris, I must concur. We arrived at our hostel, Saint Christopher's, around 11:30pm on Thursday evening. This hostel happens to be a branded chain that looks a lot more like a Holiday Inn via appearances, but with rooms broken up into summer camp cabins accommodating up to 8 travelers. Fortunately for us, we traveled with exactly eight people (Myself, Charlie, Nils, Andrew, Brittany, Elena, Erin, Grace). The building was a five story complex complete with bar, dance floor, lounge, billiards room, and an open sauna. We were wide awake when we arrived from traveling to the hostel so after check in I headed down to the lounge to see what all sorts of international wanderers I could meet. Andrew and I ended up hanging out with a group of Brazilians and Argentinians who were traveling after completing their doctorates in various fields of medicine. We swapped travel stories, general interests, views on world happenings, and eventual plans for our trips. This might sound a bit boring, but I love getting opinions from people of other cultures. Its fascinating to see how a person of completely different background views the same sort of situation or event as yourself.

The gang and I had already established that we were going to wake up early and start our sightseeing, so it wasn't too long before I hit the sack.

Author's Note: Keep checking back as I recount my travels through France over the next couple of days!

All good; all the time,

Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment