Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Das Boot!


I don't know how much you actually know about Belgians, but they are beer lovers. Belgium boasts over 200 registered differently distinctive breweries within its 11,000 square miles. Beer is rich within much of European tradition as within Belgium's own. The tour that we went on today with the CUBBC group offered us the chance to go through one of the breweries and it explained the cultural background and importance that beer has had in European/Belgian history. There is a bar in the tourist district called Delerium that claims to keep over 2080 beer on supply at all times. I've begun to notice that its not uncommon to see a family out to eat and everyone, even the younger teenagers order a beer. Their intentions are not to become inebriated, simply to enjoy a favorite brew. I knew this was so in many foreign countries prior to traveling, but it still surprises you a bit when you see it first hand. My roommates and I purchased a "mixmatch" box that allows you to pick up 6 different beers and purchase them for one flat rate. Of the 6 Belgian beers we purchased Duvel (the beer that a local told me to order on my first night in the country) is still my favorite. One of my roommates, Charlie, agrees that it is superior to anything else we have sampled thus far.

I've had a few boys from back home ask me if there is in fact a mug dubbed Das Boot (German). Well, it just so happens the fabled mug is in fact a reality. This party mug containing two liters is a bit much for even the heartiest of Belgian drinkers. The mug came into existence during WWII, when German soldiers would pass around das boot prior to battle to bring good luck to themselves and their comrades. The idea was passed onto American soldiers stationed in German following the war and many brought their boots back to the states. Its popularity eventually diminished in America until the 2006 release of the movie BeerFest re popularized the hefty mug. If you go to a bar in Brussels, its not uncomon to see a group of people sharing das boot. But beware, bars charge a large deposit on the expensive mug; you break it, you buy it!

Something else that I have observed while wandering around is that everyone is significantly smaller than persons from back home. Granted, I am taller than most people, but to actually see someone here who is taller than myself is quite rare. On top of that, facial hair is non existent. Its safe to say that my 6ft + build, scraggly beard, wrangler jeans, and rocky boots stand out a bit in this significantly different culture.

We stopped and had lunch while on our tour today at a street called Kabob street. Those of you back home would understand this word as "shishkabob" or something similarly spelled. For all yall not from below south of the Mason Dixon line, allow me to explain. Basically a shishkabob is a wooden stick with a variety of grilled meats and veggies (some of the ones here have fruits, but I wasn't too big on grilled apple and what not).This street is essentially 200 yards of vedors that offer nothing but mini shishkabob stands all for a reasonable price (comparatively to other food items here). They offer everything from strictly red meat, to vegan, to veggie, to a smorgasbord of everything. And believe me, every bit of it was delicious. Oh, and if you happened to get thirsty while indulging on a amazing Belgian kabob, lucky enough for you, all the stands also offer a variety of famous Belgian beers (and bottled water for "American children" as one vendor jokingly told a group member).

As far as getting around goes, well I grew up in Columbia/Chapin, South Carolina. There are no subways or metro rails in SC. The entire setup of the metro system, combined with the bilingual signs (neither of which are English), all makes up for a sensory overload and me quite utterly confused and lost. No matter how many times I think I understand where I'm trying to go and which train I need to find...it never quite pans out like I intended. The only saving grace is that I am not the only one having this issue. Apparently all my roommates and classmates are having similar difficulties understanding the comings and goings of the underground subway. The teachers and advisers tell us it just takes practice; what in life doesn't?

2 comments: