Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Sky High Skiing

What do you get when you mix 6 inches of fresh snow, an essentially deserted ski resort, and put it all together in the Alps of Switzerland? A darn good time, that's what you get.

My family and I skied a full two days at Engelberg's Titliss ski resort. With new snow fall everynight totaling plus 6 inches, it goes without saying that the conditions were perfect.

I personally haven't skied in over 2 years as a result of an accident during my Senior year high school spring break that involved myself, a tree, high speed down hill skiing, and over confidence in my abilities. However, after a few hours on the slopes and one or two humorous 'sudden stops' I was back on the slopes shredding it up.

The part that made this skiing experience so unique and memorable (aside from the fact it was in Switzerland!) was that there are absolutely no slope boundaries. Meaning, that if I think my skis can take me there, nothing is going to stop me from exploring every inch of snow covered terrain. 'Danger, Avalanche Warning' signs did little to deter such exploration and in fact seemed to encourage everyone in the park to actually ski beyond it (of course I personally headed such notices...)

Rachel managed well with slow and steady skiing despite her leg's handicap. She of course couldn't pull the daredevil card this trip, but she atleast managed to get out on the slopes and enjoy the experience.

After visiting and skiing in such a manner, state-side east coast 'ice skiing' is pretty much going to seem pointless. I'm spoiled.

As far as the location and scenic side of everything...its hard to put into words. I posted a good many pictures taken by all family members and you simply need to look at them. Aruba is probably my favorite beach location but Engelberg, Switzerland now holds the distinguished award as my favorite mountainous region.

We're currently headed back on our Eurolines 'scenic' rail bound for Brussels Central. I'm happy to report that the sun is out and that the temperatures are breaking 60 for the 2nd time here in Belgium. I'm hoping that such weather will stay because now that my snow skiing adventures are finished for the season I feel the need to sport nothing aside from a bathing suit and sunglasses here on out.

Thursday, following a Finance exam, my family and I are bound for Paris. This will be my second time in the 'City of Lights' and hopefully I'll see a slightly different side of the culture as my budget extends a bit further as my parents are currently covering the check.

Hope all is well!

All good; all the time,

Thomas

1 comment: