Saturday, April 3, 2010

ReUnited, No thanks to United

I groggily arose from sleep at 6:55 AM after Andrew, my roommate, yelled at me to cut my alarm off. I donned my workout gear and continued about my morning routine of starting the coffee pot. I was preparing myself mentally for an early morning jog when I decided to check the flight status of my family's Atlantic flight to Brussels. The flight status nearly made me drop my mug when I read 'arrived' flashed across the screen...2 hours early.

I quickly dialed the United Airlines number via Skype connection and asked for operator assistance in determining if in fact flight 5620 had landed almost a full two hours early. She confirmed it. I pressed the escape button, ending the call and stared blankly at my computer screen for a few seconds. I was trying to think. What to do? I quickly threw on a different set of clothes, stomped on my Georgia boots, and flew out the door in a desperate attempt to get to Brussels Central Platform before my folks.

As luck would have it, the United operator was so far off target with her estimate that it caused me to spend 3 hours wandering aimlessly between platforms 2,4, and 6 of Grand Centarale station of Brussels.

Ultimately I was reunited my family and not a moment too soon.

We headed to my apartment, dropped of some of their gear, and went out in search of a bite to eat before our departure to Luxembourg.

Walking through the city, catching up, and onlooking as my family experienced many of the same initial culture shock moments that I went through upon my arrival was as much as I'd hoped for. I've been greatly anticipating the their arrival and was just as excited to see them as I think they were to see me.

Later in the afternoon we boarded a high speed train destined for Luxembourg, Luxembourg.

Upon our arrival the sun had already set and it was raining (what else is new?). We checked into our regal hotel seated not far from many of the European Union buildings located in the capital city. Due to the late hour many of the businesses and food establishments were closed so we opted for some oriental and took our time to continue catching up with each other.

We turned in early and got a jump on our trip to Engelberg, Switzerland.

As the high speed train pulls us closer and closer to the Swiss Alps I can feel my excitement to do a little skiing growing.

Can't wait to see what comes next!

All good; all the time,

Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment